Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Process of Cultural Adjustment III

I woke up the next morning eyes wide, not feeling any type of ill effects from the six hour drive that I endured the night before. Butterflies fluttered around my insides as I showered and prepped for my first ever ride on a subway. As I loaded into the crowded car, I double checked to make sure my wallet was in my front pocket and my phones were hidden underneath my sweater. A precaution brought on by scenes of violence from television shows as well as horror stories from previous visitors. What initially began as an interesting spacious ride, turned into a cramped hot metal box as more and more patrons loaded into the already crowded car. I stayed to myself in a corner constantly checking for my belongings and keeping my eyes straight ahead. That is, until the panhandlers came along. Sightings of a one legged man hopping along w/a hat and adolescents that looked like they should be in school traveled along the cars asking for money for various reasons. Reasons such as uniforms for basketball teams, losing homes in fires and selling candy instead of robbing. An hour later I was stepping off the subway and walking to my destination...Atlantic Records, for my 1st official day of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment