Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Process of Cultural Adjustment

I'll begin my three part series on the Process of Cultural Adjustment that we're learning in class. Over the summer I had the opportunity to intern in New York, and as we all know it is a MAJOR difference between New York and Norfolk. I opted to drive the six hours to New York in order to prepare myself mentally for the change. As I gathered my thoughts I began what I feel was stage 1 which is the "Eager Expectations" stage. I could feel the butterflies begin once I hit the New Jersey Turnpike. Thoughts began to race through my mind at such a rapid pace, that I began to wonder if I needed to turn around and come home. I actually began to doubt myself which is something I do not do PERIOD. I'm thinking to myself; "Can I do this?", "What if they don't like me?", and then on the other hand I'm having thoughts like; "I can't wait to get there!", "What is it going to look like?" and, "I can't wait to party!". So as you can see there were very mixed emotions. Before even leaving Norfolk, I already had a negative predisposition about New Yorkers because of there attitudes and things of that nature. However, when I hit the George Washington Bridge, all of those thoughts vamoosed and I knew it was too late to turn around...

No comments:

Post a Comment